Founded in 1953, the Driving School Association of California is a not-for-profit corporation comprised of driving school owners, operators, instructors, and other concerned parties throughout the State of California. The DSAC is the oldest association of its kind, and remains one of the largest and most influential group of driving educators in the world.
DSAC Member Pledge
I am an educator and a professional business person and I pledge to always conduct myself and my business accordingly. I will do all that I can to contribute to the dignity, growth, development, and upgrading of the profession. I shall strive for strict and fair enforcement of all laws and regulations. I shall maintain a scholarly attitude toward driver instruction and professional growth. I shall remain always mindful of the obligations and responsibilities to the public, my profession, and my colleagues.
For almost 60 years the DSAC has created “Progress Through Cooperation” on the roads of California. Working closely with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, and the California State Legislature the DSAC has been instrumental in implementing life-saving laws, and regulations related to the training/licensing of new drivers.
In addition to its legislative efforts the DSAC has also been influential in the ecomonics of running a driving school.The DSAC helped to reform the auto insurance industry, dramatically reducing the insurance rates of driving schools. Through it’s strategic partnerships the DSAC has also developed a solid relationship with the credit card processing industry saving it’s members thousands of dollars in transaction fees. Through www.dsac.com the Association also became the first organization of it’s kind to go “on-line”, opening affordable website design and hosting for it’s members.
Continuing Education Seminars
The DSAC has and continues to improve its industry by implementing and improving the highest standards and requirements for driving schools and instructors. Thousands of owners, operators, and instructors have attended DSAC Continuing Education Seminars where they improve their skills, gain knowledge of new teaching techniques and laws, and gain access to instruction tools and materials, allowing them to put safer drivers on the road. Guest speakers consistenly include the California Highway Patrol, Cal-Trans, the Department of Motor Vehicles, Donate Life, the California Employment Development Department, and other nationally respected organizations.
The Executive Board of Directors are elected by the membership every 2 years. The current executive Board Members are:
- President: Josh Mayes Drive Happy Driving School
- Vice President Buck Matoushek La Mesa Driving School
- Treasurer: Adrian Lopez E-Z Way Driving School
- Controller: Robert Stahl Dollar Driving School
- Secretary: Chris Armington Autobahn Driving School
Also serving the Association are the Committee Chairpersons. They are elected by the Executive Board of Directors. The current Committee Chairpersons are:
- Continuing Education Seminars: Hale Gammill Drivered.com
- Ethics and Standards & Legislative Chair: Kristine Bistline High Desert Driving School
- Legislative Advocate: Gabe Roberson
- Fundraising and Special Projects: Robert Stahl Dollar Driving School
- Publications & Website: Josh Mayes Drive Happy Driving School
- Driving School Association Of The Americas Representative: Hale Gammill Driversed.com
- Mailings: Cherie Gero Aces Driving School
- Promotional Items/Merchandise: Jose Vargas Condor Driving School
- Instructor Certification Program: Rick Milford American / El Cajon Driving School
The Association also recognizes and appreciates the continued involvement and support of it’s Past Presidents. The past presidents are:
- Jim Vivian 1978-1980
- Linda Murphy 1980-1982
- Jim Vivian 1982-1984
- Ron McNees 1984-1988
- William Castro 1988-1995
- Robert J. Stahl 1996-1997
- Jim Gero 1998-1999
- Kristine A. Bistline 2000-2002
- Troy Carter II 2003-2004
- Henning Mortensen 2005-2006
- Robert J.Stahl 2007-2012
The Association Board meets in person three times a year. The meetings are generally held in conjuction with the DSAC Continuing Education Seminars in Los Angeles, San Franciso, and San Diego. All members, or those interested in becoming members of the Association are welcome to attend a Board Meeting. Contact an Executive Board Member for details.
Future Board Meetings
- Los Angeles: February 23, 2013
- San Francisco: May 4, 2013
- San Diego: October 12, 2013
To be automatically notified of future board meetings and seminars click to join the DSAC Mailing List!